In 1954, Mrs. Lily Thompson began having Missionary Circle meetings at Howell's Point, now known as Sunset Harbor. From these meetings, Howell's Point Baptist Mission was formed.
In 1955 or 1956, a new church was built on land donated by Mr. Ralph Clemmons. In 1968, the mission was constituted into a church, pastored by Reverend Lindsey Clemmons.
On August 25, 1968, the church was struck by lightning and destroyed by fire. Within six months a new brick sanctuary was completed and paid for. On March 3, 1969, the first services in the new church building were held.
In August 1980, the cornerstone was laid on the new sanctuary. On October 25, 1981, the church dedicated and named the Sunday School building in honor of Reverend Lindsey Clemmons and the name of the church was changed to The First Baptist Church of Sunset Harbor.
3867 Sunset Harbor Road
Reverend Brian Holland, Pastor
Ladies Sunday School Class
Vacation Bible School 2020
Adult Sunday School Class